Friday, November 2, 2012

The Female Evolution Revolution


Back in 8th grade, I learned about “mean girls.”  It happened after the Snowball Dance.  I was finally friendly with some of the popular girls and we were hanging out together in school and during the dance.  At the end of the festivities, it was customary to meet at a restaurant to continue the night and sometimes have a sleepover.  We were going to meet at Friendly’s.  My closest friend and I went there and waited for the rest of the group to arrive.  They never did.  They went somewhere else and neglected to let us know.  We found out later we were also excluded from the sleepover. The next day, these girls still had the audacity to show up at my house to swim in my pool.  They acted as if they were entitled and were completely reckless with our feelings.  On those few days, I learned how to be apprehensive about female friendships.  How would this mold me in the future?

Fast forward to senior year.  The mean girls have added to their brood and continue on their road to exclusivity.  They arranged a prom house in which you will need a special wristband to stay at their house and attend their parties. Only handpicked people need apply.   Normally, seniors would go from house to house to attend each other’s’ parties.  If I was still in 8th grade, I would have been devastated.  I am not.  What changed?

I am guessing you are thinking I am going to go into an explanation of how I have grown and do not need mean girl approval.  This would be true.  Or that I found other groups of people and other activities that interest me.  This would also be true.  Or that I unfriended them on Facebook and spend some of my time gossiping about their lack of intelligence, style, or their evil personalities.  This would NOT be true.  What?

The interaction of girl versus girl has been well documented.  We have pretty and dumb versus plain and intelligent.  We have skinny versus fat.  We have the mommy wars between working women and stay at home women.  We have Jersey Shore.  *skid sounds* We pick a side and go at it.  And we all laugh at Snooki.  I think we should have a Female Evolution Revolution.  Why shouldn’t it start with me?

Well, it has.  Truth be told, I am still friends with some of those mean girls.  What I recognize is girls have worth of some kind.  We need to stop throwing stones at girls who are not like ourselves.  We need to prop each other up.  We need to become fans of each other’s ability and not be afraid to say so.  The pretty, dumb girl probably has makeup tips we all could use—then she isn’t so dumb after all. That nerdy science girl might come up with strategies on how to prevent cancer.  Tell her you are glad she got the A in the AP Biology test.  All women look good in different styles whether fat, skinny, or average weight.  Tell them how good they look.  As for the Mommy Wars, we need to recognize all jobs have difficult components.  Working moms may want some more time with kids and can take stay-at-home moms’ kids with them on a weekend.  Stay-at-home moms can carpool for the working mom or take pictures and video for her.  We need to open our tents and let everyone inside.  We need to celebrate our differences and toast our likenesses.   As for me and the girls in my class, I look at them with an open mind.  They really are not so mean.  Don’t you think I should crash their party?

--Kiersten Campbell

No comments:

Post a Comment